Monday, January 3, 2011

Peer Pressure

One of the interesting things about life is how easy it is to fall back into the same pattern or same routine. For instance if you use to smoke and you hang around a smoker chances are not only will you pick up the habit again chances are you will also smoke as much as the person you are with. This not only relates to smoking the same thing can be said about eating.

As I've said before being on break it is much easier to make poor food decisions as I am not the one sitting at my house prepairing the meals. Chances are very low that I have lost weight over this break, but I can honestly say that I haven't fallen right back into my normal routine. In fact I have not made it to my favorite bar in the world yet since I've been in town (and I haven't been there since September). I am however going to go tonight.

I said I would probably have some champagne for New Years and I did, but I did not overdue it by any means either. Instead my best friend and I shared a pretty small bottle and went to bed shortly after watching Dick Clark and Ryan Seacrest's rocking new years eve. Not exactly the crazy NYE that some people my age had, but it sufficed for me.

Tomorrow is my birthday and some of my friends and I are going to go to my favorite bar Ned's. I'm going to celebrate and have a good time. I am also going to have one of my favorite drinks, which is a 57 T-bird and I'm sure that it is jam packed with calories so I am only going to have one. The trick to this is to sip on the drink and not chug it down.

I know so long as I have a drink in front of me there will be no pressure to order another (this is a nice little tactic that one of my guy friends taught me my freshmen year of college. Some pretty great advice I might say. I'll go ahead and tell you that story...)

So my freshmen year of college I was at a party that happened to be at the house of a guy I'd gone to high school with. He had graduated a couple years before me, but he had always been a really nice guy. I had driven my car over to the house so obviously I wasn't going to be able to drink, but that also didn't stop people from asking me over and over again if I wanted a drink or talking crap about the fact that I didn't have one. So that I didn't feel left out, my friend handed me a beer, to which I responded that I was driving. He said yeah Cassandra I know that, but go ahead and open it and carry it around with you, so long as you have one people will assume you are drinking it and leave you alone. Guess what it...it worked like a charm. I continued to use this trick the next three years of school and will use it again tonight.

There is no need to give into peer pressure, even when it comes from those closest to you. If you don't want to deal with the confrontation you don't have to, just remember the "drink in hand" trick and you are good to go. I'll let you know how my night ended up tomorrow. In the meantime I am going to try to figure out what I'm wearing out. If you happen to be in the area feel free to join me at Ned's tonight! I would also like to take a moment to thank my friend for some great college advice. Thanks Jason! I'd give a last name, but you know who you are :)

No comments:

Post a Comment