Friday, January 14, 2011

Tutti Fruiti

As my break comes to an end I would like to say that I did everything I was supposed to do, but I didn't. I had some great memories and good times. Sometimes that's just as important. I'm getting older and I know that I'm not going to get to see those people in my life that I am oh so close to now as much the older we get, that's just how it goes. Heck I don't even know where I'll be after graduation in May so who knows how often I'll get to see family and friends at all. The big start to my last semester of graduate school starts Tuesday and that is both awesome and scary!
Another scary thing is getting my butt back on track. This break thing is over. I'm pretty much healed up from my surgery and now it is so on. I got my little P90X newsletter and it talked about six exotic fruits that are amazing for you and will also make you look super fancy if you are out and about and bust them out. I'll break it down for you so that you can be up to speed on these fruits that make me want to go hang out on a tropical resort and lay out on a beach. That may also be because I've been freezing my booty off for days and water weather is pretty much what I live for...lol. Here is your list of fruits for you by Denis Faye:

***A note from me about today's post:*** Anything in quotation was taken directly from Faye's article and the authors words should be given credit to the themselves. I didn't really feel a need to change up a lot of what Faye said as the information seemed to be pretty solid stuff and said pretty well in my opinion.

Tropical Fruits
not really sure why there is star fruit in the picture, but the rest of it is legit, oh and minus the orange too I suppose...lol.

1. Pomegranates. I am so excited about the pomegranate faze that has exploded in the last few years. I myself am a hug fan as anything pomegranate is super yummy! The name pomegranate is Latin for "seeded apple," which is funny because the only thing that apples and pomegranates have in common is that they are both part of the fruit family and they both grow on trees. Beyond that you got natta.  

"Pomegranates have a hard, inedible red and yellow skin. Inside, you'll find clusters of seeds protected by sweet, pulpy little deep-red pouches called arils. (Does this sound anything like an apple to you? I have no idea what the Romans were thinking,)" said Faye."Arils are the part you eat, seed and all. Despite their alien appearance, the chance that they'll sprout in your stomach and take over your consciousness is slim."

"Half an average-sized pomegranate (about 4 inches in diameter) has 117 calories, a gram and a half of fat, 2 and a half grams of protein, 26 grams of carbs, and a respectable 5 grams of fiber. It has 24 percent of the RDA for vitamin C and 13 percent of the RDA for folate. You'll also find vitamins E, K, and B6, and thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid. For minerals, you get 9 percent of the RDA for potassium and 11 percent of the RDA for copper, as well as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, and selenium."

"There are a host of studies showing that pomegranate consumption can potentially help with everything from heart disease to dental plaque to cancer to the common cold. I'd take these studies with a grain of salt, but at the same time, there sure are a lot of them, and until someone figures out their accuracy, it's not going to hurt you to eat pomegranates."


2. Kumquats- OK so as far as this one goes, I personally am in love with the name...lol. How funny would id be if someone walked up to you and was all like, "hey what is that" and you tell them a kumquat, they simply wouldn't believe you, or they'd just laugh. I know I would haha! My new favorite word for today is kumquat (it was swagger for like a month...lol). Despite it's funny  and according to Faye its "questionable name", this fruit is great for an entire family (which fruit isn't?). Kumquats are from south Asia and are considered a citrus fruit that resembles the likes of a tiny little orange. The difference is that this little citrus fruit can be eaten in its entirety. That's right! Skin and all.

"If you choose to eat a kumquat, prepare yourself for an experience. The outer skin is tasteless, but once you bite into it, the bitter juice explodes in your mouth and your face distorts into a pucker the likes of which no lemon could ever match. At this point, if you spit it out, you'll have that taste in your mouth for a while, so commit to your kumquat. After a couple of seconds, the bitterness gives way to the taste of the sweet pulp and skin and you're fine."

"Ready for another?"

"Most people settle for getting their kumquats in the form of jams and jellies, but in my opinion, that's the gutless option. Real men and women eat their kumquats whole."

"Surviving an eight-kumquat odyssey will earn you 104 calories, 1 gram of fat, 2 grams of protein, 24 grams of carbs, and 9 grams of fiber. You’ll get 112% percent of the RDA for vitamin C, as well as a little riboflavin, vitamin A, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper, and manganese."


3. Asian pears - "You may know this fruit by many other names, including sand pear, nashi pear, or—if you're feeling all scientific—pyrus pyrifolia. They come from (obviously) Asia, and they basically look like big, firm apples with pear-like skin. Their flesh is crispy, grainy, and juicy. They're pear-like in taste, but not texture. They're very nonconfrontational, a great new fruit to introduce to fussy eaters." I may actually like these because I do like pears, the way they smell and if something is pear flavored, but my personal problem with them is the tecture. It's too gritty for me and kind of ruins the entire experience.

"One medium-sized fruit (about 2 and a half inches in diameter) has 51 calories, 1 gram of protein, 13 grams of carbohydrates, and 4 grams of fiber. Asian pears aren't exactly micronutrient powerhouses, but they're better than a stick in the eye. That one piece of fruit contains 8 percent of the RDA for vitamin C and 7 percent of vitamin K. You also get some vitamin E, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, and pantothenic acid. For minerals, there's 4 percent of the RDA for potassium and manganese, as well as some magnesium, phosphorus, and copper."


4. Kiwifruit- I love me some kiwi! No really I do! I use to get excited when my friends and I would go to the Kettle to get breakfast buffets because they had kiwi on the fruit bar and not everywhere does. Faye says that, "Kiwifruit only became kiwifruit in 1962. Before that, these brown, fuzzy little fruits went by a variety of monikers, two of my favorites being the Chinese gooseberry and the hairy bush fruit. (I have no further comment on those names.)"

"A ripe kiwi will be firm with just the slightest give. While the skin doesn't seem all that welcoming, it's actually completely edible and loaded with fiber. That said, it's hairy and chewy, and it's understandable if you decide to skip it. Just cut your fruit across its equator and spoon out the yummy green flesh within, seeds and all."

"One medium skinless kiwifruit (about 76 grams in weight) has 46 calories, 1 gram of protein, 11 grams of carbohydrates, and 2 grams of fiber. It packs a real vitamin C wallop, with 117 percent of the RDA. It also has 38 percent of the RDA for vitamin K, as well as lesser amounts of vitamin A, vitamin E, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, and pantothenic acid. For minerals, you'll get 7 percent of the RDA for potassium, and lesser amounts of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, and manganese."

"I don't have the nutrition facts for the a kiwifruit consumed with the skin on, but suffice it to say you'll get everything listed above plus a bunch more fiber."

5. Figs - "While just about everyone has had Fig Newtons® at some point in their life, few people have tried the fresh version of the fruit they come from" ( I certainly have not, but like those that Faye is refferring to I have had the cookie!). "Surprising, considering that every year, more than a million tons of this fruit are produced internationally. While dried figs (and Fig Newtons) are available year-round, fresh figs are in season in summer, sometimes into autumn. There are more than 150 varieties of these weird, dangly-looking things, and they're highly perishable, so eat them within a day or two of buying them. Keep them refrigerated. A good fig is plump with a little give, but not mushy. If they smell sweet, that's also a good indication that they're ready to eat."

"One large raw fig has 47 calories,12 grams of carbohydrates, and 2 grams of fiber. You'll also get small amounts of pretty much every vitamin and mineral around, except vitamins E and B12, selenium, and sodium."

"Figs also have a laxative effect, so if you decide they're the fruit for you and you go on a little binge, try to do so close to a restroom."


6. Persimmons- I had never heard of these until this article, but here is what I found out. "Another colorful contribution to the fruit rainbow from Asia, persimmons are commercially available in two varieties. The most readily available is the hachiya, which is shaped a little like an acorn. You need to wait until they're super-ripe and soft before they become edible."

"Conversely, fuyu persimmons resemble tomatoes in shape and are slightly orange in color. They're edible (and delicious, I might add) while still firm."

"Both varieties are typically autumn fruit."

"And here's a little fun fact for you: Persimmons, like tomatoes, are technically considered berries. Who knew? They also contain small amounts of lycopene, an essential phytochemical thought to decrease the risk of cancer."

"One hachiya persimmon has about 118 calories, 1 gram of protein, 31 grams of carbohydrates, and 6 grams of fiber. It'll give you a hearty 55 percent of the RDA for vitamin A and 21 percent of the RDA for vitamin C. There's also 8 percent of the RDA for vitamin B6, 6 percent for vitamin E, and smaller amounts of vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and folate. On the mineral front, there's 30 percent of the RDA for manganese, 9 percent for copper, 8 percent for potassium, and lesser amounts of everything else but sodium.
It may take a little searching, but most of these six exotic fruits are available at your local grocery store. If you're lucky, you might even find a few of them at your local farmers' market. So put down that apple, get your exotic on, and enjoy!"

I have had a few of them, but as a fruit lover I'm sure I'll tackle on the rest. Especially now that I know all of the amazing benefits of them. Have you tried them out? What do you think about them? Let me know and I'll let you know what I think about them as I try them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment