Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tighter Tiny Tummy

One thing to be said about pop culture is the over abundance of abdominals everywhere. Back when Britney Spears was at her peak you could see her abs from a mile away, why do you think she always wore shirts that showed her tummy? If I had abs like that I'd show mine off all the time too. Janet Jackson is another one of the artists who had a six pack to aspire to want. It would be there and then it would be gone. Women are for sure not the only one's rocking the flat muscle bearing stomachs. Usher is well known for his abs and with the growth in popularity of MTV's The Jersy Shore, Mike "The Situation" has made a habit of taking his shirt off all the time to expose his abs that he is so very proud of.

The thing is not only is it unhealthy to have a big gut it is also very unhealthy. Men tend to carry more weight in their stomach which is often a sign of bad health because people with more stomach fat are more suseptable to heart attacks, type 2 diabeties and other heart diseases, than those who carry their weight in other places like in their hips and thighs for example. Of course lugging around excessive fat on one's body is not healthy for anyone, but in terms of severe health problems carrying your fat in the lower body is less severe of a problem less quickly.

I understand we don't get to pick and choose where we carry our weight, but I guess I've been lucky. My BFF always laughs about how I can fake skinny if I'm sitting down and you can only see me from the waist up. If you were curious as to whether or not your middle section were too big or small I can tell you where it needs to be and you can figure out where you need to go from there. According to the Mayo clinic a man's waist should be 40 inches or below and a woman's waistline should be 35 inches or below.

Some of the suggestions to getting a smaller waist should be to cut way back on your alcohol intake. I can vouch for this. I never had much of a tummy until after I started drinking beer. Not that it was a daily occurance, but it certainly makes a different about where you carry your weight, or at least I can vouch for the fact that it did in my case. The other suggestion given by the Mayo clinic is for one to do at least 30 minutes of intense cardio a day as well as eating the right foods. Your goal by no means has to be to get a Britney or Usher six pack, but to get a smaller midsection would be beneficial to you long term. But then again think how hot it would be to rock awesome abs. I'd be proud :)

Let me know what you think and if you have any tips to a tiny midsection I'd love to hear it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment