Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mama Mia

I am one of those people who absolutely loves Italian food. It is by far my favorite. Breads, pasta's and sauce (well everything, but alfredo anyway). I adore Italian food and really Italian culture for that matter. The problem with Italian food is the over abundance of carbs. I sure do love carbs, but they sure do not love my waistline...lol. My mom sent me this recipe and as soon as I go grocery shopping after I get home I'm going to try it out. If you happen to do so before me let me know what you think. Here it is:

Courtesy of Rachel Ray:

Cauliflower Sauce with Whole-Wheat Penne

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Show: 30 Minute MealsEpisode: Healthy, Wealthy & Wise
Rated: 4 stars out of 5Rate itRead users' reviews (147)
Filed under: Pasta, Vegetables, Cauliflower, more
RECIPE RATINGS & REVIEWS(147)
Cook Time:25 minLevel: EasyYield: 4 servings
Recipe Tools:
Print Recipe
Get Card
Save Recipe
Ingredients
1 pound whole-wheat penne rigate
Salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, cracked from skin and sliced
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 head cauliflower, stem removed and chopped
1 cup chicken stock
4 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and finely chopped
3/4 cup grated Romano, 3 generous handfuls
Salt and black pepper
Directions
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and pasta and cook to al dente. Drain and reserve 2 ladles of pasta water.

While water is coming up to a boil and pasta cooks, make sauce. Heat a deep skillet over medium heat with extra-virgin olive oil. Add garlic and cook 3 minutes, then remove. Add onions and cook 5 minutes then add cauliflower, chicken stock and the rosemary. Cover the pan and cook 15 minutes. Uncover the sauce, add 1 to 2 ladles of pasta water and mash the cauliflower with the back of a wooden spoon or potato masher. Add the pasta and cheese to the cauliflower and toss to combine. Season the dish with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.

I love cauliflower, which is why my mother sent me this recipe. One of the things that I love about it is that Miss Rachel Ray has given us a way to make a healthy meal and it will only take about 30 minutes. When time is an issue your health shouldn't be the thing put on the back burner. Try out this recipe and let me know what you think!

2 comments: