Thursday, January 6, 2011

Confusion

Sorry sorry sorry about today's late post. It's not because I was flaking out or waiting for Grey's Anatomy to go off (I didn't even get to watch tonights episode...yet). The reason for today's delay is due to the fact that I spent all day on the road. This morning my friend had a procedure done at the OU medical center (early this morning and let me tell you how much fun it is to go 20 mph in a 65 mph speed limit, NOT! I-35 traffic was complete hell this morning!). She had to go under anesthesia and was released at 11:30. I then had my second post op appointment down the road at 11:45 (talk about cutting it close). So fun doctor day in Oklahoma City for me!

On the plus side I was told that I was healing great and this may just be it :) I was oh so very excited to hear this news so really all the hanging out I did in the hospital today was totally worth it! While I was at the doctors office today I was weighed (which I was very scared of) and to my surprise I had not gained what I thought (as I have not been doing great about watching my caloric intake or being that active over this winter break). I only put on two pounds from the last time I had last weighed myself. Of course my goal was by no means to put on weight as I am trying to lose, but trying to take off two pounds is not as big as trying to take off the 12 that I have lost.

After everything was done in OKC today I had to go back to Norman. I let my friend go sleep off her drugs in my bed and I cooked lunch for my friend who rode down to the city with me. He and I ate lunch and I finally got him to watch Pretty Woman because everyone in the world should see it...it is a must ;)

My original plan for today's post was to watch The Doctor's and talk to you about the 17 Day Diet that they were going to talk about. I saw the preview for it yesterday and thought what a great topic to introduce in today's blog, but obviously I didn't get to see it. Now I am back in Tahlequah and I researched what I could about this new fad and came across a Web site that talks about the diet.

It says that the reason it is successful is because it causes metabolism confusion (this sounds to me a whole lot like what the P90X promises to do for you in terms of fitness with what they call muscle confusion). Apparently the new fitness fad is to confuse ourselves. Well heck I can do that easily all the time...lol.

This is what I found out about this 17 Day Diet:

Created by Dr. Mike Moreno, the diet program has four different phases which are as follows;
  • Cycle 1: Accelerate. Encourages rapid weight loss, cleansing and fat burning. Discourages fat storage.
  • Cycle 2: Activate. Resets the metabolism.
  • Cycle 3: Achieve. Develop good eating habits, re-teach yourself how to eat carbs.
  • Cycle 4: Arrive. A combination of the first three Cycles. On weekends, enjoy your favorite foods.
There is also a 17 minute workout routine. Apparently good ol' Dr. Phil has jumped on the bandwagon and is trying out this new fad too! The Web site says (directly quoted):

"Dr. Moreno's The 17 Day Diet is a cycled eating plan that alters the amounts of carbohydrates, proteins and fats you eat every few days. Divided across four phases, each is designed to accomplish a different objective: burning fat, resetting the metabolism and teaching you proper portion control and hunger signs.
This clean eating plan avoids sugar, processed foods, fried foods and other heavy dishes, but it does teach your body to crave and nourish itself through healthy eats like turkey and asparagus spears and other cleansing vegetables".

"Dr. Moreno also shares tips to avoid holiday weight gain: He encourages you to pre-diet, which means to eat a healthy dinner before you attend holiday parties or other festive occasions that are food-focused. And when you're at the party, choose only two to three of the healthiest appetizers. You're also encouraged to stay away from the buffet table and say no to festive desserts and candy.
Some of the meal plans look like this":
Cycle 1:
  • scrambled egg whites with grapefruit and green tea
  • large green salad with tuna and balsamic vinegar and olive oil, with green tea
  • grilled chicken with steamed or raw vegetables, with green tea
Cycle 2:
  • Dr. Mike's Power Cookie, fresh peach, and green tea
  • chicken salad, brown rice, sugar-free fruit-flavored yogurt
  • grilled salmon with steamed vegetables
Cycle 3:
  • whole wheat toast, hard-boiled egg, grapefruit, green tea
  • grilled chicken caesar salad, whole wheat toast, fresh fruit, green tea
  • roasted pork tenderloin, mixed salad, green tea
Cycle 4:
  • scrambled eggs, grapefruit, green tea
  • grilled salmon on lettuce bed, green tea
  • ribeye steak, caesar salad, baked sweet potato, two glasses red wine
There is also a list of pros and cons, listed as follows:

Pros:
  • Cycling what you eat, how much you eat and when you eat has shown promise in helping to accelerate weight loss
  • Features a very clear and organized eating plan
  • Promotes eating clean and healthy foods
Cons:
  • Difficult book to access or purchase
  • Cannot be purchased in stores, only from the book's site
  • May just result in short-lived weight loss success
  • Cycled eating has the potential to result in irregular eating patterns
Did any of you watch The Doctor's today? Have any of you heard of this diet or even tried it? Yesterday is the first time I've heard anything about it. This certainly is something that I would consider doing, if it were effective. What are your thoughts? If you are reading this blog please please please tell me what you are thinking. It has been several days and I've received no comments. Are you still out there? Let me know and I'll keep writing and working. Talk to you tomorrow. In the meantime keep thinking on the bright side :)

Read more: 17 Day Diet | Dr. Mike Moreno's Diet | As Seen on Dr. Phil and The Doctors http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/the-17-day-diet/#ixzz1AJc9sgom

2 comments:

  1. This diet sounds reasonable. It seems fairly straight forward and easy to do. I like the variety. I have not tried it, or heard much about it until very recently, but I would be willing to give it a try and see if it would work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think it would be a long term help or just short term? How did you first hear about it?

    ReplyDelete