Friday, December 24, 2010

New Book Finds That Obesity is Not One’s Fault

I was scanning today’s medical news on medicalnewstoday.com and came across an article posted today about a new book written by award winning health authors Mannie Barling and Ashley Brooks. According to their statistics they found that two-thirds of American adults are in fact overweight. Barling and Brooks try to create a “sane approach for better healthy” by answering the biggest question for those who have dieted and failed. The question they attempt to answer is “Are you addicted to chemical food ingredients or is the addiction just in your mind?”

Obviously knowing the credibility of the authors is important and luckily for us the writer of this article gives us just that. I don’t know about you, but I like to know the legitimacy of the information I get. I’ll start by giving you a little background on Barling.

Emanuel Barling, Jr., is a retired lawyer, a businessman, obviously an author and a colocrectal cancer survivor. Crohn’s Disease and IBD. Just like those he is reaching out to in his book he too has suffered from weight and obesity caused by prescription drugs, food allergies and having issues with chemicals that are common and constantly found in food from the grocery store, restaurants and fast food places as well. The thing that I thought was really cool was that Barling has been researching information for this book for 13 years.

Ashley F. Brooks, is a R.N., actress/model and an author now. Brooks has survived third stage liver, kidney and pancreatic disease that was caused partially because of genetically modified ingredients and addictive chemicals commonly found in packaged foods. Brooks who has spent most of her life trying to control her weight because of her acting and modeling career has obviously been exposed and tried every possible fad diet. Due to her medical background Brooks has experience and knowledge in nutritional, holistic and environmental medicines. Dr. Theron Randolph, founder of environmental medicine was who Brooks studied under so she shares his expertise in this book.

Now that we know we can trust these writers and that they should know what they’re talking about I’ll tell you a little bit about the book (well at least what this article says because in all honesty I haven’t read the book).

This is there fourth book and it is entitled “It’s Not Your Fault, Weight Gain, Obesity and Food Addiction. They describe the causes of food craving, overeating and food addiction. The authors also talk about dangerous and addictive chemicals that food manufacturers use. These chemicals cause the compulsive and even obsessive eating that is in fact the cause of today’s obesity statistics.

Overeating to the point of being obese is the leading addiction problem in the United States, that surpasses tobacco addictions and alcohol as well. America has the highest obesity rates in the entire world.

"Americans did not get fat overnight nor did some mosquito spread a deadly virus that causes obesity," said Barling and Brooks.

One person who has read this book said that they were able to lose a whopping 80 pounds and another person claims to have lost 20 pounds and they say they are still losing more.
"I'm having great fun already with the book. Fascinating read. And extremely informative. I'm appalled at the extent of my ignorance." - Barbara Paskin, BBC.

If you would like to read this article in its entirety you can do so by clicking on it here. Is this book something you would consider reading? Do you think that reading stuff like this helps you to lose weight or not? I read somewhere that when you are trying to lose weight you should read about it so that you are constantly thinking about it. In my case I’m writing a blog and researching health and weight loss everyday, so I guess I could certainly say from my POV (point of view) yes I think it helps, but I love to get your opinions on this. Let me know how you feel about it.

My family and I are doing our Christmas get together today and instead of doing a dinner or lunch they have decided to just have snack foods, which could be good because that means I can eat something healthy beforehand. The problem is that there is more than likely going to be lots of dessert around which I’ll have to try to stand firm to resist. Wish me luck lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment